linux 64 bits support

Simon Lipp simon.lipp at scilab.org
Tue Aug 12 19:02:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

This is a first proposal for a working Scilab on Linux 64 bits. Scilab
runs in all modes, a lot of modules have the same behaviour (in make
check) than 32 bits, but there are still some issues. But I think these
issues are small problems in small pieces of code (given than huge
portions of code works fine), so I prefer to post the main
modifications before trying to hunt minor bugs.

Issues:
 - Reducing stack (e.g. stacksize("min")) doesn't work (that's why
nonreg test of bug #2867 fails). Since it's rarely used (seems to
never be done automatically by scilab) and requires big changes (far
more changes than this patch) in functions I don't understand, it's
likely no worth fixing it. Unless I find a simple way...
 - Scicos doesn't work (I didn't check but there's no way it can work).
They duplicate the stack definition, and scicos one has to be updated.
Should be pretty easy to fix (unless a lot of bugs appears after the
trivial fix ;)).
 - Funny part: "make clean" fails (segmentation fault). I'll try to see
this tomorrow.
 - Another funny thing (no link with 64 bits): when running "make
check" on a distant machine with X forwarding, some tests fails but in
the report "make check" says that two extra tests passed (103 passed in
local, 105 passed with X forwarding and some errors). More errors =
less errors... do less with more ? ;)

Results of "make check", by module:
 - Same results on 32 bits and 64 bits versions
arnoldi, boolean, completion, elementary_functions, genetic_algorithms,
integer, output_stream, overloading, parameters, polynomials,
signal_processing, simulated_annealing, sparse, special_functions,
spreadsheet, statistics, symbolic, m2c, cascd, data_structures,
differential_equations, dynamic_link, io, linear_algebra, optimization,
randlib (-- and all modules  which doesn't have any tests ;))

 - Different results:
compatibility_functions: bug_1227 fails on 64 bits and not on 32 bits
version. Both hangs on bug_577. Don't know why.
double: 25% passed, 75% in 32 bits version. Failed tests are trying to
reduce stack size, so that's not a big issue
fileio: 94% passed, 100% in  32 bits version. Don't know why.
functions: bug_625 and bytecode pass fine on 32 bits but not on 64 bits
matio: 64 bits version freeze, 32 bits version fails. Don't know why.
sound: sound doesn't passes on 64 bits. Don't know why.
string: strcmp and *pcre76 doesn't passes. Don't know why.
time: getdate and bug_793 doesn't passes. Don't know why, but Allan did
special things on Windows 64 bits on this module, I'll also see this
tomorrow.

Simon