A replacement for linpro and quapro ?

Collette Yann ycollet at freesurf.fr
Mon Jul 7 14:59:24 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm currently working on an interface to Clp
(http://www.coin-or.org/Clp/index.html).
Clp is a linear programming library developped by IBM as a commercial
tool (OSL). This tool(s) was (were) released as an opensource project
years ago.
It performs linear programming so as quadratic programming. You also
have a support for Mixed Integer programming. As shown in the bench
hosted at http://plato.asu.edu/bench.html, this opensource tool competes
efficiently against CPLEX (the famous So Expensive and So Closed source
library).
Using the Cbc library (also host at Coin-OR and open source), you have a
great Mixed Integer Programming (the tools implemented in Clp can do
basic MIP).

I have started to write an interface to Clp and I was wondering if it
was a good idea to replace linpro and quapro by this kind of interface ?

I joined the minimal tar archive with my work in progress. To compile
this tool, you will need to:
- install Clp
- fine tune the compile.sh script (yes, I know, it's awful)
- fine tune test.sce (another awful thing which will become a loader.sce
in a near futur)
- launch the small tests:
- clptest1.sce: a simple linear problem
- clptest2.sce: two simples MIP problems
- clpsparse.sce: a test with a sparse matrix.

YC