[Scilab-Dev] Scilab Improvement Proposal

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr
Fri Jun 27 10:30:41 CEST 2008

Le mercredi 25 juin 2008 à 16:12 +0200, fvogelnew1 at free.fr a écrit :
> > > btw, is there a plan for a web repository of sips, in case they
> > > accumulate? A wiki structure could be effective, if collaboration is to
> > > take part. At least, the possibility of attaching some comments to a
> > > filed proposal (like what just came out - daeoptions) for the record,
> > > could be good. Could be a protected wiki with public read access and
> > > write access for devs only, for instance.
> >
> > Yep, we probably will set some tools.
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to add attachments in SIPs. A SIP should be a
> self-contained proposal. If attachments are added we will soon not know to what
> set of things the next comments apply.
> I think the discussion should be kept on the mailing list, as it is happening
> right now, and only the results of the discussion with the associated reasons
> should be in SIPs. SIP versioning is available for producing new versions
> whenever a point of common understanding is reached in a given SIP.
I didn't see that otherwise than this. Attachements would be too tricky to understand and hard to keep track of.

> Second point, maybe this shouldn't be named SIP.
> Indeed there is also another SIP, which is the image processing toolbox bearing
> the same name.
> The SIP toolbox having been around there first, the improvement proposals should
> be named differently.
Hmm, you have a point! Indeed, SIP is then a bad name.

> I would suggest to name this SLIP, standing for one of the following:
>     - Scilab Legacy Improvement Proposal.
[...]
>     - Scilab Lazy Improvement Proposal
>     - whatever (let me say I'd prefer the first proposal above)...
The problem with the first one is that it is tied to the past and SIP/SLIP are only meant to chat about the future.
Anyway, we don't have a to find an explanation for each letter (just
like FVWM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FVWM * The F currently has no
official meaning[1]*).

Scilab L* Improvement Proposal

> SLIP would also induce the idea of slipping in either direction: success or
> forget the idea. And last but not least it would be funny for french readers.
> I'm not kidding.
It is a great potential for bad joke! At least for this, it is a good
idea ;)