Bug 2789 (debugger broken)

François Vogel fvogelnew1 at free.fr
Mon Mar 31 22:43:02 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Having just fixed two Scipad bugs tonight, I was wondering what you
operational team intend to do with bug 2789 (debugger broken in trunk)?

I have seen that wiki page: http://wiki.scilab.org/Tcl_Thread
and it explains what is the main problem. The new Tcl thread
management in Scilab 5 does not allow reentrant calls. And Scipad is
full of such reentrant Tcl constructs.

Now, what? What's the next move?

Is the Tcl thread management now finished in your opinion? (I didn't
see any activity on this subject for two weeks).

Are you perhaps waiting for someone to rewrite the entire debugger in
order to work around the new limitation? On this the answer must be
no, since Bruno Jofret stated many times on this list that he didn't
want to break anything. But you're perhaps in a dead end?

Or do you plan to allow for reentrant calls, so that the debugger will
work again with little or no change in Scipad?

Given that Scilab 5 beta was supposed to happen in March, and that the
stable 5.0 is still scheduled in April, I'm getting a bit worried.
Could you please explain how you see the next future with respect to
that bug 2789 (and also 2596)?

Thanks for your answers to come.
Francois