[Scilab-Dev] [Fwd: Re: Debug de Scipad]

Enrico Segre enrico.segre at weizmann.ac.il
Thu May 15 08:57:10 CEST 2008

                              From:
Sylvestre Ledru
<sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr>
                                To:
fvogelnew1 at free.fr
                                Cc:
Bruno JOFRET
<bruno.jofret at inria.fr>, Enrico
Segre <enrico.segre at weizmann.ac.il>,
Vincent COUVERT
<vincent.couvert at inria.fr>
Re: Debug de Scipad
                              Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 23:57:19 +0200
(Thu, 00:57 IDT)

Le mercredi 14 mai 2008 à 23:38 +0200, fvogelnew1 at free.fr a écrit :
> Selon Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr>:
> > A priori, on va pas remettre en place la réentrance du TCL (trop
> > compliqué et pose trop de pb annexe).
>
> Could you please develop your reasons? The above sounds quite short.
> I can assure you that working around the new limitation introduced in
Scilab 5
> is also very very complicated in Scipad.
AFAIU because it is very tricky to create a "loop" into the different
threads

> I have already pointed you to proc checkendofdebug_bp in
> SCI/modules/scipad/tcl/db_states.tcl for a nice example of the
gymnastics I had
> to do, did you have a look? Really, did you?
I must confess that I didn't :$ I just had a look and you did a funky
ASCII art! ;)
If we can get rid of this gymnastic for something more cleaner, it would
be great!

> Honestly, handling this is a big big work. You're more or less asking
for a
> rewrite of the debugger from scratch, because changing things on a per
line
> basis copied/pasted on the wiki example will just not work.
> I would probably need months to have only partial features in the
debugger if no
> reentrant call would be available.
> This is certainly not what you were hoping to hear, but this is just
the raw
> truth.
OK, let find out a suitable solution !

> > Est ce que tu pense que ca réglerait les pbs du débugger ?
> > Si ça n'est pas le cas, tu aurais besoin de quoi pour pouvoir le
> > régler ?
>
> Enrico's proposal is a good idea I think.
> Basically, being able to restore the reentrance behaviour of Scilab4
by a
> command would probably help.
You are talking about the Lock I guess ?
If it is a "strict" thread lock, I think that should be technically
possible without too many problems. Bruno, please correct me if I am
wrong.

> Otherwise, I don't know. On one hand I tend to agree with the new
interface
> being cleaner than the previous one, but on the other hand complying
with the
> new limitation of this interface really is a huge work, believe me.
Yep, I totaly agree with you.
We have to find a medium solution between needing a big rewrite from you
and keeping the dirty old stuff...

> Your forgetting about reeentrance will also break existing features,
see a
> recent example here:

http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.soft-sys.math.scilab/browse_thread/thread/d13da70c713b925a
I don't see the reentrance here ?
It is because it is called from Scipad ?

I am also concerned on this by people using this feature in third party
applications (EDF is a well known Scilab/TCL user)

> Aside from the technical issue discussed here, I would like to move
this thread
> to the dev mailing list. Other people may very well have useful ideas,
andit's a
> good occasion to share and consult, isn't it?
> Anybody having a concern with moving the discussion to a public place,
please
> speak now.
I really don't mind, on the contrary!