[Scilab-Dev] Quick way of increasing speed of Scilab Compilation under Linux

Simone Mannori Simone.Mannori at inria.fr
Thu May 22 11:38:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 10:26 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> is to use ccache [1]
>
> For this, install ccache and launch the configure with the options:
>
> ./configure CC="ccache gcc" CXX="ccache g++"

Inside Fedora 7

"ccache is a compiler cache.  It acts as a caching pre-processor to C/C
++ compilers, using the -E compiler switch and a hash to detect when a
compilation can be satisfied from cache.  This often results in a 5 to
10 times speedup in common compilations."

[simone at pinarellu scilab]$ ccache -V
ccache version 2.4
Copyright Andrew Tridgell 2002
Released under the GNU GPL v2 or later

I tried:

./configure --enable-debug --with-localization-generation
            CC="ccache gcc" CXX="ccache g++"

but the last option CXX="ccache g++" does not work on Fedora 7

./configure --enable-debug --with-localization-generation CC="ccache
gcc" CXX="ccache g++"
 configure: error: invalid variable name: CXX

probably because Fedora needs some specific care.

Using

./configure --enable-debug --with-localization-generation
            CC="ccache gcc"

and

make -j4

every things looks OK. I'm not able to estimate the speedup because I
tested it only for a partial compilation.

Thanks to Sylvestre :)

Simone