[Scilab-Dev] Test report of Chinese (or multibytes languages in general) locale mesages with Scilab 5-beta-1

Yung-Jang Lee yjlee123 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 18:16:26 CEST 2008

 Sylvestre:

Thank for your test under Linux, I just plan to do the same thing.

Your test means behavior of Java console under Linux and Windows is the
same. As I reported before, if OS's locale is not UTF8 compatible,  both OS
send characters to Java console in it's native encoding according to locale
setting (LANG).

Characters in  zh_TW are encoding in BIG5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big5)
while characters in  zh_CN  are encoding in GB2312(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB2312). Both of them are two-bytes code which
are not subset of Unicode.

BIG5 is de facto standard in Taiwan and GB2312 is national standard in China
, they are most popular encoding in for Chinese especially under Windows.

To solve this problem, we must decide locale setting in runtime  and
transform  characters  back  to  UTF8  if  the locale setting  is not in
UTF8.

Hope these can help.

YungLee

2008/5/29 Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr>:Iti