splint: make check-code

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Tue Oct 7 18:16:32 CEST 2008

Hello,

Yann C showed me a great tool called Splint [1].
Since I am lazy, here is the description from the website:
Splint is a tool for statically checking C programs for security
vulnerabilities and coding mistakes.

In order to use it easily on Scilab, I added a new target to the
Makefile called "check-code" for each module. I moved the call of
checkstyle to this target too.

Example:
# cd modules/integer/
# make check-code

By default, I am calling splint with the options "-weak -booltype BOOL".
They can be changed in the root Makefile.incl.am (variable
SPLINT_OPTIONS).
To play with it, you must have splint installed on your computer (it is
packaged under debian & Ubuntu) and available in the path.

In the Java world, I found the program findbugs [2] which is pretty
amazing. Very likely, it is going to be included into the check-code
target too.

Sylvestre

[1] http://www.splint.org/
[2] http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/