[Scilab-Dev] Re: SEP 23 : Extend diary : Simultaneous sessions. Horodating. Logging depth

bernard.hugueney at scilab.org bernard.hugueney at scilab.org
Mon Apr 20 11:40:19 CEST 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:30:43 +0200, Pierre MARECHAL
<pierre.marechal at scilab.org> wrote:
>  HORODATING
>  What about an option HORODATING=FORMAT that would add the date & hour as

>  line header (or sub-header, whether a _session_id_ header is already
> written in the
>  diary) to each logged command line. default format could be YY-MM-DD,
> HH:MN:SS Added to the SEP (See diary & time-stamp section). For the
moment,
> only few formats will be supported but ideally, It should be useful the
> user can build himself the format (As the date [1] php function). Why ?
> because,� Date and time formats are different according to countries :
>  ���
>  USA : MM-DD-YYYY
>  France : DD-MM-YYYY
>  German : DD.MM.YYYY

Please, let us fight the date format madness : creativity is *much* better
spent elsewhere than in diverging from ISO 8601 [1]. I know that we must
allow people to read/write other formats, but *please* make the ISO format
the default, and document it as *the* *right* format. (As you may have
guessed from my tone, I have already spent far to much time parsing exotic
date formats).

B.

[1]
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=26780