idea for the google summer of code

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:13:33 CET 2009

Hi,

I would like to suggest a development idea for Scilab related to File
Import/Export section.

It would be interesting to allow import/export of XDMF files, which are
files that can contain simulation data (mesh + mechanical data) which can be
time varying, and in a future not so far I hope, also dealing with
integration point directly.

It may actually be more interesting than having a compatibility with the VTK
format as suggested in
http://wiki.scilab.org/Ideas_of_development_for_Scilab
because behind XDMF is also Kitware (http://xdmf.org/index.php/Main_Page),
and they currently support and improve more frequently the XDMF than VTK
file format.

XDMF is intended to be a standard interchange data format for numerical
simulations (as many others unfortunately), but with Kitware directly
supporting it (and other american labs), and the fact that it begins to be
considered in other open source projects, it stands as a quite promising
solution. This is why it would be interesting to have it also in Scilab,
such that one may process mechanical data or mesh directly in Scilab then
for further post-treatments.

Also, XDMF can be opened in ParaView or VIsit, so I guess it fulfills needs
expressed behind the idea "Export scene to the VTK format".

I hope that you will consider favorably this idea.

Best regards,

Pierre