Google Summer of Code / Metanet-Boost.graph

Emmanuel Goossaert emmanuel.goossaert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:28:57 CEST 2009

Hello,

    I am interested in participating in GSoC under Scilab, for the
project Metanet-Boost.graph, this is why I am contacting you. I am
also interested by the project SNNS, for which I have contacted Mr.
Yann Colette. I learned about GSoC just two days ago, so it took me
some time to review all the mentoring organizations, and to finally be
sure that the one I was the more interested in was Scilab.

    Also, I will be doing my Master's thesis during the summer, which
will take me around 25 hours per week. Because I am living on the
campus of my university situated in the middle of nowhere, I have a
lot of spare time. I can work on another project 40 hours a week and
still have some spare time remaining. Do you think that my work on my
thesis would prevent me from being seriously considered as a candidate
in GSoC for Scilab/Metanet-Boost.graph?

    I know that compared to other participants I am already late.
Since the deadline is next Friday, I think I'll spend my week on
preparing my applications. I am planning to work on a first version of
an application on Monday, and get it ready for Tuesday morning. I know
that with GSoC, the all of you must be very busy, but would you mind
if I sent this application to this email group or to a particular
mentor, so that you can review it and tell me if it needs to be
enhanced?

    I am interested in working on an improvement of Metanet using
Boost.graph because I think for an application such as Scilab, having
efficient graph implementation and interfacing is a major concern.
Such an improvement would benefit to a lot of users in the Scilab
community, which is not the case for most of the other projects.
Furthermore, I have strong skills in C++, I have been using the Boost
library in previous projects, and I have an experience of Fortran 90.
Also, I am using matlab every day for my thesis, therefore I'll be
able to sneak into Matlab BGL to grab some ideas. This graph project
is a non-trivial challenging project, for which I think I have the
necessary skills.

Thank you in advance for your time and your answers,

Sincerely,

Emmanuel