[Scilab-Dev] a kind of regression

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Mon Apr 26 17:49:09 CEST 2010

Le lundi 26 avril 2010 à 17:43 +0200, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> Le 26/04/2010 17:39, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> > Le lundi 26 avril 2010 à 17:09 +0200, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Since the 5.0 version is it no more possible to know the location
> >> of Scilab main script by using the SCI variable. Before 5.0, it was
> >> simple, since scilab main script was in SCI/bin. Now, the scilab script
> >> can be anywhere, e.g. in the Ubuntu scilab package scilab is in
> >> /usr/bin, but if a user builds it from source, the script is in SCI/bin.
> >> Maybe is there another way (within Scilab) to know the location of
> >> the script/binary ?
> >>
> > Good question. You probably know but it is easy to retrieve scilab-bin with sciargs.
> >
> > About the Scilab script, in most of the case, you should be able to find
> > it with:
> > SCI+"../../bin/scilab"
> > I agree this is not what you expect but this will work with both
> > official binaries and distribution packages (grosso modo, as long as the
> > user does not force a weird data directory)
> >
> > Sylvestre
> >

> Which solution is the most reliable to you (multiplatform ?) :
>
> 1-suppose that the scilab script and the scilab binary are in the
> same folder
They are. If you find somewhere it is not the case, it is a bug.
Actually, I would you this solution. I though that sciargs would give
you back only the path a relative but in fact, it is absolute.

For example:
$ /usr/share/../bin/scilab -nwni -e "disp(sciargs())" -nb

!/usr/bin/scilab-bin  -nwni  -e  disp(sciargs())  -nb  !

So, you should go with this solution!

Sylvestre Ledru
The Scilab Consortium
Digiteo