On a small size inverse problem

hari chandra_hari18 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 07:32:03 CEST 2010

SCI LAB

dev at lists.scilab.org

This inquiry is from India. I have a small size inverse problem of
the kind: Ax = b, the SVD analysis of which is given below: I have not used any
Matlab routine or advanced software. I have been working out details on excel
spreadsheet. Can I have any advantage in tackling the problems of the kind with
any SCILAB tools?

Given the structure and dynamics of the problem as illustrated
below, to what extent the tools may help to make a regularized solution to
approach reality?

Can the error in the solution be minimized by any routine? Any publications
available in this regard?

  2.65

  2.71

  2.12

  2.53

  2.42

  2.77

  1.09

  0.30

  2.265

  5

  0

  180

  12

  44

  2.04

  0

  0.05

  22.784

  3

  0

  12

  3.5

  14

  16

  0

  0.07

  6.000

  -0.06

  0

  0.44

  0.3

  0.37

  0.52

  1

  0.12

  0.360

  2

  5.5

  2.04

  3.45

  1.83

  6.37

  0.8

  0.16

  2.522

  52

  47

  120

  87

  77

  100

  189

  0.10

  96.910

  1

  1

  1

  1

  1

  1

  1

  0.20

  1.000

Can the inverse problem help me to retrieve the vector x with
precision with any numerical linear algebra tools? I have xT =
[0.30, 0.05, 0.07, 0.12, 0.16, 0.10, 0.20]. Is there any mathematics that can
help me to retrieve these elements x11, x21…x51 with
precision? Data vector b has the maximum error defined as
1.5%. Kernel of the problem A is assumed to be precise but
that too shall in have the same error of 1.5% at least.

Singular Value
Decomposition

  U:

  -0.017

  0.005

  -0.136

  0.404

  0.833

  -0.064

  -0.346

  -0.424

  -0.904

  0.049

  0.018

  -0.004

  0.001

  -0.001

  -0.059

  -0.03

  -0.95

  -0.303

  -0.004

  -0.01

  0.013

  -0.004

  0.003

  0.001

  -0.05

  -0.127

  0.842

  -0.522

  -0.021

  0.014

  -0.269

  0.853

  -0.446

  0.001

  0.029

  -0.903

  0.426

  0.048

  -0.016

  -0.005

  -0.007

  0.001

  -0.008

  0.003

  -0.034

  0.12

  0.301

  0.535

  0.779

  S:

  302.25

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  148.658

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  17.475

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  6.26

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  1.866

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0.112

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0

  0.073

  VT

  -0.163

  -0.141

  -0.614

  -0.278

  -0.295

  -0.305

  -0.565

  0.118

  0.135

  -0.753

  0.176

  -0.049

  0.272

  0.542

  -0.059

  0.022

  0.13

  0.008

  -0.475

  -0.71

  0.498

  0.196

  0.82

  0.057

  0.287

  -0.331

  0.029

  -0.307

  0.715

  -0.068

  -0.137

  0.181

  0.45

  -0.466

  -0.113

  -0.589

  0.4

  -0.131

  0.063

  0.601

  -0.331

  0.047

  0.244

  0.354

  0.025

  -0.879

  0.107

  0.034

  0.172

 U^T*b and singular values: Discrete Picard condition not
satisfied.

  U^transpose

  U^T*b

  Sing value

  -0.01772

  -0.61485

  -0.07008

  -0.0042

  -0.01969

  -0.78502

  -0.00829

  2.3153

  -95.5104

  298.505

  0.00266

  -0.78646

  -0.01828

  0.00235

  0.00883

  0.61729

  0.00204

  51.3332

  9.346925

  194.1835

  -0.13151

  0.05757

  -0.94948

  0.00289

  -0.27283

  0.04979

  -0.03075

  7.085

  -0.72217

  17.17149

  0.46477

  0.00877

  -0.30443

  -0.04839

  0.82074

  -0.01181

  0.12306

  0.3513

  0.430871

  3.52994

  0.81003

  -0.00672

  0.02132

  -0.1165

  -0.50001

  -0.00475

  0.28241

  2.3254

  0.376967

  1.79652

  0.31991

  -0.00003

  -0.0076

  0.58797

  -0.03808

  -0.00088

  -0.74192

  80.705

  -0.00964

  0.05186

  -0.08879

  -0.00156

  -0.00661

  0.79897

  0.00568

  -0.00688

  0.59468

  1

  0.000829

  0.01536

Z = U^T*b/S. value

  -0.320

  0.048

  -0.042

  0.122

  0.210

  -0.186

  0.054

Computing the errors – (norm) ZV

  Z*V

  -0.320

  -0.15202

  0.14968

  -0.04783

  0.42298

  0.66837

  -0.32286

  0.47152

  -0.82

  0.048

  -0.46941

  -0.41758

  0.07247

  0.11346

  0.03357

  0.69704

  0.31648

  1.08

  -0.042

  -0.53166

  -0.53927

  0.0636

  -0.006

  -0.17228

  -0.60614

  -0.15923

  -0.80

  0.122

  -0.25474

  0.22784

  0.02306

  0.60297

  0.08508

  0.17523

  -0.69364

  -0.19

  0.210

  -0.29671

  0.06539

  -0.45265

  -0.58171

  0.51325

  0.0942

  -0.30352

  0.05

  -0.186

  -0.27156

  0.30847

  -0.71201

  0.1642

  -0.4824

  -0.04129

  0.25052

  0.02

  0.054

  -0.4972

  0.60089

  0.52539

  -0.28152

  -0.13823

  -0.03466

  0.12701

  0.21

error is computed as below:

solution error that can
be arrived at by comparing the inverse solution with the prior x used
for deriving b of Ax = b.

  U^T*b

  Sing
  values

  Error
  Norm

  Vz = x

  Prior used for
  getting b

  Diff

  % error

  2.31

  -95.51

  298.51

  -0.32

  -0.82

  0.31

  0.35

  0.04

  10.57

  51.33

  9.35

  194.18

  0.05

  1.08

  0.01

  0.05

  0.04

  72.88

  7.08

  -0.72

  17.17

  -0.04

  -0.80

  0.22

  0.20

  -0.02

  -10.59

  0.35

  0.43

  3.53

  0.12

  -0.19

  0.15

  0.09

  -0.06

  -65.74

  2.32

  0.38

  1.80

  0.21

  0.05

  0.14

  0.11

  -0.03

  -24.18

  80.70

  -0.01

  0.05

  -0.19

  0.02

  0.06

  0.08

  0.02

  28.10

  1.00

  0.00

  0.02

  0.00

  0.09

  0.11

  0.12

  0.01

  9.05

Can this method work for some reasonably good solution?
Regularization can work when discrete Picard condition is not satisfied with
any SCILAB tools?

Is there any MATLAB regularization tools which can help given the
above structure and dynamics evident from SVD?

Small values have undergone severe modification. Can such errors
be minimized? Last but not the least, is there anything wrong in the error
estimated above?

hari

Aum Namah Sivaya