[javasci] running scilab from a eclipse rcp application

Otto wesendon at in.tum.de
Wed Jan 20 23:53:33 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate scilab into a eclipse based application. I've
managed to use javasci in a normal java application without bigger
problems. But I didn't manage to run it from a eclipse application.
Eclipse uses OSGI and there's a lot going on with different classloader
and so on, and configuration can get quite hard from time to time.

For the normal java application I've just included the javasci jar and
set the path variables and all went well. Calling it from an eclipse
plugin brings this exception:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/scilab/modules/jvm/Scilab
  at javasci.Scilab.Initialize(Native Method)
  at javasci.Scilab.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
  at amf.plugin.ScilabMethod.getResult(ScilabMethod.java:36)
  at
amf.function.impl.GenericCalculationMethodImpl.recalculate(GenericCalculationMethodImpl.java:227)
  at
amf.function.impl.GenericCalculationMethodImpl.getResult(GenericCalculationMethodImpl.java:241)

By chance I saw, that there actually is a jvm module in scilab, but
including that as well crashed the whole thing. Besides that, for the
normal java application this jwm plugin isn't need anyway.

So, does anyone has experience with eclipse and knows how to solve this?
Or do you got any hints anyway?

Thanks in advance, regards,
Otto