[Scilab-Dev] Compilation of 5.2.1 under ubuntu 9.10

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Tue Mar 16 17:38:20 CET 2010

> > Anyway, to get the real error message which was causing the configure to
> > fail, have a look in the config.log. At the end, you will find the error
> > on the jhdf5 check.
> >
> The error is:
>         /usr/bin/ld: warning: libhdf5.so.6, needed
>         by ./bin//libjhdf5.so, not found (try using -rpath or
>         -rpath-link)
>         ./bin//libjhdf5.so: undefined reference to `H5E_NOTHDF5_g'
>         ./bin//libjhdf5.so: undefined reference to `H5E_CALLBACK_g'
>         etc... many more undefined references...
> The file  prerequirements-scilab-5.2.1-src.tar.gz  does include
> bin/libjhdf5.so but NOT bin/libhdf5.so.6
> I copied all the  *hdf5* files from $SCILAB_HOME_bin/lib in
> $SCILAB_HOME_src/bin, and configure stopped complaining.
>
> May I suggest to include all the required *hdf5* in
> prerequirements-scilab-5.2.1-src.tar.gz ?
Yes, we have to check if we did anything wrong here.

> Previously, I compiled with success using the --without-hdf5 option to
> configure. Now, it compiles OK with hdf5.
FYI, this prevented Xcos to run.

> Thank you for pointing out to look at config.log.
You are welcome.

> I have another question: why in the binary version is the path to the
> toolboxes
>         $SCILAB_HOME_bin/share/scilab/contrib
> while in the src version, it is
>         $SCILAB_HOME_src/contrib   ?
This is a good question ;)
The reason is because we are following the FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard) norm. This is managed transparently by the autotools and it
requires a clear separation between library, binary and data files.
Since is the content of contrib/ is only data files, the install system
is going to install them in the share/ directory.
You will find some information here:
http://wiki.scilab.org/Different_directory_trees_in_Scilab_under_GNU-Linux_Unix

Sylvestre Ledru
The Scilab Consortium