[Scilab-Dev] Module installation (was: Building scilab-master-1286272063 on Fedora 13)

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Oct 19 08:52:21 CEST 2010

Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> I don't understand why you have all this problems... We are doing all
> these operations on a daily basis in the compilation chain.
> Anyway, the normal steps are:
> * ./configure
> * make all doc
> * make install

I do not understand either.  But when I do this it dies in the
configure.  I am running (as far as I know) a standard Fedora 13 system.
I've already written up (in way too much detail) exactly what I've done.
I realise a few of the problems were on my side.  But some seem on yours
too. :-)

For example ./configure will die early due to the fact that
/usr/share/pvm3/lib is not in my path. (Why should it be?)
But

 PATH=${PATH}:/usr/share/pvm3/lib ./configure

gets past that problem and onto the next, and so on.

> > But I'm a novice at this.
> Can I ask why you are not using the Scilab binaries then ? ;)

Good question.  I meant I am a novice at building the "5.x" series.
After installing Fedora 13 (from Fedora 7), I wanted to upgrade from
scilab-4.1.1 which I use heavily in my work.  I used to build the cvs
versions of scilab-2, scilab-3 and scilab-4 so I thought I'd go that
route here.

Honestly, I'd love to understand why I'm having all these problems (and
why your people are not).  Anyway I've put a list of exactly what I must
do to get master-1286272063 to build in the hopes of helping you all out
at some point.  But if I'm the only one experiencing these problems,
well ?

I do have the docs built now and everything seems to be working.
(And SCI gets automatically set (evidently) to /usr/local/share/scilab :-)

But what I must do to get "configure" and "make all" to complete is a
lot more complicated than the three steps above.  Sorry to be a bother.
Really.

Dean