microsoft quote

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Tue Apr 17 17:08:56 CEST 2012

Hi all,

is there a plan to support the microsoft quote (copy/pasted from a pdf file)

-->ascii("’")
ans =

226. 128. 153.

as a transpose character (BTW, why is ascii() returning a 3-component
vector) ? I am asking that, because I usually ask my students to
copy/paste some parts of code from a pdf worksheet. I discovered that in
LaTeX, even if the regular quote ' (ascii code 39) is used in a verbatim
environment, e.g.

\begin{verbatim}
y=zeros(3,1);
x=y';
\end{verbatim}

the regular quote is rendered as a microsoft quote. So when the text is
pasted from the pdf file, then you get

-->x=y’
!--error 2
Facteur invalide.

I realized that many people around me already had such problems when
pasting code from Word documents, but from pdf coming from LaTeX, it is
really annoying.

S.