[Scilab-Dev] General installation problems

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab-enterprises.com
Sat Dec 1 08:15:01 CET 2012

Hello Blake,

On 30/11/2012 22:17, Blake Hannaford wrote:
> I use Scilab in my teaching of Electrical Engineering.  I've had great
> results with 50-80 students per year for the last three years who
> install Scilab on their PC and Mac laptops.   This year, the results are
> different.  Many students are having installation problems for 5.4.4 -
> especially on newer Macs.    I've advised them all to stick with 5.3.3,
> but there are still fatal bugs on certain graphics chips.
>
> I assume these problems are from underlying Java issues that are out of
> Scilab's control, but unless they are resolved clearly and soon, I will
> no longer be able to use it for class.   These are students who are used
> to Matlab and already have low-cost licenses they used in earlier
> classes so this gives the open-source software model a black eye.
We were not aware of problems under newer Macs with Scilab 5.4.0.
Could you ask one of them to report a bug with details ?

About the graphic itself, they are either bugs on our side or in the
graphic driver of your system (usually, Java is not responsible. Java is
only catching the critical error).
We are working on fixing them.

Regards,