[Scilab-Dev] JIMS: how to write from Java to Console Window

MartinUp2 martin.highUp at gmx.net
Mon Nov 4 15:29:33 CET 2013

Hello

I am implementing some functionality for Scilab in Java using JIMS (Java
Interaction Mechanism in Scilab).

Everything (creating objects, calling methods, ...) works fine but since
Scilab 5.4.1 I can not write to the SciLab Console Window any more. See the
example below.

The Program I am writing shall give the user some feedback what is going on.
System.err.println and log4j2 worked fine in Scilab 5.4.0.
Nowadays I have the open the log file what is not that convenient and I can
not use diary("scilabLog.txt") in Scilab to capture the whole session.

Is there any functionality to write to the Console in JIMS which I did not
find?

Is it a desired behaviour that System.err is not forward to the console any
more? And System.out?
I personally liked that it was easy to use log4j2 to log to the Console
Window.

Thanks for any help
/ Martin

--JimsHelloWorld.java -----------------
package experimental;

public class JimsHelloWorld {

    public JimsHelloWorld() {
    }

    public static int printHello() {
        System.out.println("out>>> Hello");
        System.err.println("err>>> Hello");
        return 1;
    }
}
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
jimport("experimental.JimsHelloWorld")
JimsHelloWorld.printHello()
---------------------------------------

Scilab 5.4.0
---------------
-->JimsHelloWorld.printHello()
err>>> Hello
 ans  =

1

Scilab 5.4.1
-->JimsHelloWorld.printHello()
 ans  =

1

scilab-master-1382971466:
Does not start. The last version I tested behaved like Scilab 5.4.1