[Scilab-Dev] floating point operations in different versions of Scilab

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Mon Jun 22 14:35:30 CEST 2015

Hello Scilab devmasters !

I have noticed subtle (but real) differences between successive versions
of Scilab, here's the whole story:

I use fsqp to solve an optimization problem where the computation of the
cost function and its gradient uses a lot of sparse/full matrix
products, and I noticed different convergence behaviour of the same code
depending on the Scilab version.

E.g. with Scilab 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 fsqp converges within the prescribed
tolerance (norm of the gradient), but with 5.5.2 fsqp stops its
iterations without reaching it. When relaxing the tolerance successful
convergence is obtained but I got slightly different results at the end.

I am wondering about which pathway I should follow to identify the
problem, so my questions are the following :

-is it possible that the scilab version which has been used to compile
fsqp could produce such a behaviour ?
-did the sparse/sparse and sparse/full product routines change recently ?

Best regards,

S.

--
Département de Génie Informatique
Université de Technologie de Compiègne -  CS 60319