[Scilab-Dev] [oldEmptyBehaviour()] displaying a warning message in both Scilab 5 and Scilab 6 behavior

antoine.monmayrant+scilab at laas.fr antoine.monmayrant+scilab at laas.fr
Fri Apr 8 08:52:11 CEST 2016

Here is an honest question to the scilab team (Clement in particular):

     What is so important with this change that you cannot drop it?

So far, it only seems to confuse or angry active developers and I can
confirm that it occasionally confuse long time users like my self.
     I just tried to run  a script from one of my colleagues using 5.5.2:
         operation +: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         operation -: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         operation +: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         operation -: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         ... few 1000 lines ...
         operation +: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         operation -: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         operation +: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         operation -: Warning adding a matrix with the empty matrix will
give an empty matrix result.
         at line   395 of function plot (
/home/myhome/softs/scilab-6.0.0-beta-1/share/scilab/modules/graphics/macros/plot.sci
line 407 )
         at line   258 of executed file
/home/myhome/mypath/Ngc21_LR_discretes.sce

To be honest, I don't see in this code where there might be a 'x+[]', it
seems to appear further down the line, in scilab own macros.

Anyway, my point is not to criticize the work done on scilab
development, but on this particular change, I can see now the issues it
raises while I am clearly not convince that it will bring anything
particularly key to scilab, apart from removing one oddity and its
companion convenience.

Cheers,

Antoine