[Scilab-Dev] [oldEmptyBehaviour()] displaying a warning message in both Scilab 5 and Scilab 6 behavior

Clément David clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com
Fri Apr 8 12:32:17 CEST 2016

Hello Eric,

Le jeudi 07 avril 2016 à 22:48 +0200, Eric Dubois a écrit :
> I suspect that a beta cycle is not enough and that some toolbox developers or other users are not
> aware of this coming change. Once again this is much shorter than previous changes, which were
> handled much more smoothly by the Scilab team... Why still shorten the adaptation time? Except to
> mark the difference with the predecessors?

Hmm after questioning myself, I think that is due to the Scilab 6.0.0 major version nature. We want
to push the better into it before the release. I guess the next iteration to 6.1 will be much more
focused on new features (added functions) and without existing behavior modification.

> Happy to see that at least (and at last) someone does not find compelling the case of changing
> this behaviour.

Samuel is not the only one, I am also quiet conservative and my question is only about warning on
valid code :).

> By the way I have spent something like 2 weeks modifying my code and, even if I hope having found
> most of the concerned cases, I am sure not to have found all... and like Samuel the resulting code
> is sometimes less clean than before. And I, have been obliged to stop ongoing developments to do
> this stuff, which is from my point of view a bad oiutcome.

That's exactly the needed information I requested ! Thanks for writing me that you need more than a
beta cycle to migrate your code. Probably other users will also need some time to notice the change
and migrate.

--
Clément