[Scilab-Dev] JOGL java OpenGL library

Johan Wesselink johanwesselink23 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 03:09:48 CEST 2018

I build scilab from the scilab branch master under lubuntu.
This went well except for the JOGL2 library.

I noticed that almost all modern distros come with its own version of this
library.
The library is currently redistributed. However, there is a library problem
in which
a dynamic library doesn't return the correct string. If I remember
correctly this is the latest MesagGL library. The redistributed version is
no longer compatible with the latest mesa library.

This is a well known problem and all distributions package scilab using the
new version.
They are aware that search path for the library in Java is modfied from
javax.opengl to com.jogamp.
Every distribution uses a patch which patches a set of java files and
adapts the configure.ac

I am very curious if there is an incentive to integrate this modification
into the current
master branch and link to a new version of JOGL2. This will make it much
easier to
compile scilab from scratch.

I do this because I am interested on working on XCOS.. This is a very cool
tool
which still needs a lot of work.

Sincerely
Johan Wesselink