[Scilab-Dev] Setting up MS Visual studio Community to compile Scilab

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Fri Jul 24 14:34:48 CEST 2020

Hello,

MS Visual studio community 2019 can take more than 20 GB on the drive if
all its numerous components are installed.
Since i wish to use my SSD drive to useful stuff, i have limited the
installation to components that "looked" necessary to me.

However, when trying to compile Scilab, i get some errors. I don't know
if they come from expected missing VS components, or from anything else.

The Scilab wiki pages do not provide details about the requirements for
Visual Studio, and most of them look outdated:

  * How can I set up Microsoft Visual Studio 2008/2010 Express Edition
    for use with Scilab x64 on 64-bit Windows?
    <https://wiki.scilab.org/How%20can%20I%20set%20up%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio%202008/2010%20Express%20Edition%20for%20use%20with%20Scilab%20x64%20on%2064-bit%20Windows%3F>
  * Compiling of Scilab on Windows or Linux
    <https://wiki.scilab.org/Compilation%20of%20Scilab>

Would anyone have up-to-date information about the minimal set of
mandatory VS components?
Otherwise i will install all, try to successfully compile, and then
remove components one by one up to failure :-/
But this blind way is quite awkward and time consuming...

Thanks
Regards
Samuel