[scilab-Users] help for a nooby

Simone Mannori Simone.Mannori at inria.fr
Tue Feb 5 05:27:18 CET 2008

Dear Doug,

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 22:22 -0500, Doug Stewart wrote:
> I am learning SCILAB and SCICOS and I like what I see. Thanks to all.

We try do do our best.

> I am trying to put together a demo of a transmission line. My demo is
> made up of many super-blocks  all the same. Each one represents 1 unit
> of length of the transmission line and contain a resistor and inductor
> in series and then a capacitor to ground. I then can connect a scope to
> different locations in the "line" and show my students how a pulse gets
> deformed as it travels down the line, and show the reflected waves, etc.

Very nice :)

> I have a 25 unit line working, but now I want to change the resistor
> value, etc.

I know the game :)

> My question is:
>
> How can I set it up so that I can change a "Global variable" that will
> change all my resistors at the same time?

Easy: use a variable in the "Contex" of Scicos.

How to use the "contex" ? Look inside the Scicos help pages.

I don't like the "contex" mechanism. It is contorted and not easy to
understand for the beginner. I lost weeks for "contex" related issues.
"Workspace" is concept a more understandable for the newbie.

                  General consideration for ALL:

if you have question, ANY question about Scilab/Scicos, please attach
your experimental files. Does not matter if they are broken or buggy:
we will fix and send back to you ASAP.

Look at a clean, working and well commented ("//** :) ") example is:
- more simple and efficient for us ;
- more useful for you.

I'm keeping a data base of all the "Scilab/Scicos Service Support" with
the idea to put the examples on line.

Simone Mannori - Scilab/Scicos Embedded Applications Eng.