Beginner: help with matrix extraction

André Victória avic at bios.srv.br
Wed Jan 23 13:41:34 CET 2008

Hello,

I am trying to make a script to process some data. Right now I have a
little trouble with reading this data onto my variables, that I can´t
figure out from the Scilab help. I use Scilab-4.1.2 on Windows 98.

I am a beginner with this kind of program (Scilab, Octave or Matlab), I
appologise for what seems to me a very basic question. But I have tried
my best to understand it by now.

My data file is:
4.02    45
4.26    29.9
4.41    30
4.43    30.1
4.75    19.9
4.97    20
5    20.1
5.26    14.9
5.57    15
5.6    15.1
5.7    15.1
5.87    10.9
6.24    11
6.46    11.1
6.61    7.9
7.2    8.1
7.27    8.2
7.32    8
8.23    4.9
9.15    5
9.55    5.1
9.7    5.1
17.36    1.9
17.8    2.5
18.4    2.4
19.36    2

The first lines of my main function are:

  Z = read('(...path...)\input.txt',-1,2);
  X = Z(1)';
  Y = (Z(2))';
//  X = Z(1);

Using the debugger I have found that the Z matrix has all the data on
the input file. Now I wanted to have on column of data on X and Y
vectors. I have tried the commented two lines. All these tries had the
same result: after the execution of the third line X has the value 4.02
and only; Y has 4.26 value, and only. Z has all the data values in the
form [ aa.a bb.b; cc.c dd.d; ... ].

What should I do?

Thank you in advance,

Andre