Scicos Electrical Toolbox and Linear toolbox

Shriram Sampat s.sampat at ektronic.de
Wed Jan 23 14:33:03 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

I am using scicos anew for the past couple of days, for a current
regulation project.

The project goal is to make a PID controller (along with some other
things) in a microcontroller to control the current flowing a circuit
with the help of mosfets. The microcontroller reads in current of
circuit via a sensor and controls the current to a set point using a DAC
to regulate the gate source voltage of the MOSFET.

I want to simulate this whole thing, so that everytime my circuit
parameters (inductance, resistance, MOSFET and input current) changes, I
can recalculate the PID constants using the simulation. And also I can
check out whether my circuit could handle the current regulation in the
required frequency. The current controlled is in the order of 100s of
amperes, so physically trying out the PID constants from scratch is a
little dangerous sometimes and also time consuming.

I have the circuit simulated. But i just found out that i could not
connect the output of the PID controller model (from linear toolbox)
directly to the gate of the mosfet as they both are different type of
I/O's (explicit and implicit). I can make it via the variable resistance
which accepts position control from scicos blocks. But is there any
other way to interconnect electrical (modellica based) blocks to normal
scicos blocks ? I am a novice to scicos and scilab.

Hope i made my explanation clear.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Ram

Shriram R Sampat
Software Engineer - Embedded Systems