Can not build Scilab with TCL/TK support

Joona Palaste joona.palaste at saunalahti.fi
Thu May 15 20:22:16 CEST 2008

I cannot get Scilab to build with TCL/TK support included. I have
compiled and installed both TCL and TK with no problems. But when I try
to build Scilab, I get an error message:

/home/joona/scilab-4.1.2/bin/scilex: error while loading shared
libraries: libtcl8.5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

"locate libtcl" tells me the library is installed
in /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.5.so. Also /usr/local/lib/libtk8.5.so is
there. The configure script finds them but the build process does not.

If I configure Scilab to disable TCL/TK support it builds and starts up
fine but I do not get a TCL GUI.

Can someone help me here?

Joona Palaste