[scilab-Users] Using english language in Scilab

Maki 1sy8 debian1sy8 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 11:08:22 CET 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Sylvestre Ledru
<sylvestre.ledru at inria.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 25 octobre 2008 à 16:30 +0200, Maki 1sy8 a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to use the english version of Scilab 5.0.2 on a win* XP box.
>> I looked in the etc/scilab.start directory  but found nothing to
>> change. Then I added the -l en option to the shortcut but it would
>> only change the help system not the menus language. The environment
>> variable is said to be OBSOLETE in the help. I also tried to issue a
>> setlanguage('en') command but it changes nothing even after I restar
>> scilab.
> Try: setlanguage("en_US")
> Otherwise, to sent the system variable, LANG=en_US before launching
> Scilab.
>
> Sylvestre

Thanks for your help but still no change!!
I added a  new environment variable as you said but to no avail. When
I tried the obsolete LANGUAGE variable, the banner started up in
english but all menus are greyed out (and still in french) except the
Applications and help menus. Both menu labels (and submenus) are also
in french and when I also checked the language used in the help
system, it was in french!!

There's something wrong with the way the language is set up. Maybe the
language setting should be offered for change during setup! Why is it
so difficult just to set the language ?