[scilab-Users] Scicos an idea for "The effective value of a wave" function?

Michael J. McCann mjmccann at iee.org
Tue Sep 2 21:38:54 CEST 2008

To generate a wave....
In principle you should be able to make a loop of
two integrators in series. If each has the same
gain then they will deliver the phase and
quadrature signals (0 deg and 90 deg). I have
done it with other numerical integrating
simulators but as it's on the verge of
instability it can be tricky to get it to run
well for very many cycles. Initial conditions are
usually 1 and zero for the two integrators
respectively. I admit to not having tried it in
Scicos, but have done it on a real analog
computer with a bit of saturation to prevent it going unstable.

On the other hand if what you want is the RMS
value (root mean square value) of some arbitrary
signal then multiply it by itself and integrate,
sampling the integrator and resetting it to get a
periodic evaluation. If you need to remove the
mean and look only at the residual oscillation,
then  the signal has to be integrated alone to
get a measure of the mean in the same way, then a
bit of arithmetic will give the RMS of the "wave" part.

I hope this helps, but please accept my apologies
if I have totally misunderstood the question.

Mike.
Dr Mike McCann
McCann Science.