scilab 5.0 rc1 linux binary tarball won't extract completely

Jacco Kramer jacco.kramer at teb.nl
Sun Sep 7 12:29:28 CEST 2008

Well, today I finally got around to trying scilab 5 RC1 on Linux. Unfortunately, I either had 2 bad downloads or there's a problem with the tar archive, because this is what I get:

(until here extraction goes normal)
scilab-5.0-rc1/lib/scilab/liblapack.so.3gf.0
tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
tar: Child returned status 1