scilab 5.X.X won't start

Emanuel Birge manneorama at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 17:00:35 CET 2009

Hi all,

I recently installed 32bit Vista Business on my work computer (company
orders).
After that I decided to give scilab-5.0.3 a try since I've been using
scilab-4.1.2 for
some time now. I downloaded the binary and installed it, everything was fine
thus far.

However, when I try to start scilab-5.0.3 the system just locks up. The
scilab splash-screen
comes up, then the scilab main window appears behind it but it's all white
and I can't do anything.
Not even CTRL+ALT+DELETE works.

Okay, I thought and reinstalled scilab-4.1.2 (which works flawlessly in
Vista I might add)

Today I decided to try a nightly build to see if there was any difference.
Now the scilab splash
comes up, then the scilab window appears behind it but it's still all white
and I can't do anything.
However, now CTRL+ALT+DELETE works. So if I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE while
scilab 5.1 is
use the computer and
scilab again.

I've gone through the newsgroup and the bug reports looking for some similar
problem but I
haven't found any.

Has anyone had troubles like these? I can't think of any reason for this to
happen.

/Emanuel
press cancel