[scilab-Users] Re: /modules/core/macros/lib missing after compiling sources

François Vogel fvogelnew1 at free.fr
Sun Jul 12 16:57:50 CEST 2009

Yann Collette said on 12/07/2009 16:24:
> So, you are using a mac.
> Sorry to say that, but for now, scipad is not working on mac yet.
> You
> will have to wait until scilab-5.2 is released to have a working editor
> on mac.

How nicely, cleverly, and carefully this is expressed... Each and
every word above counts.

Decrypting exercise:

1. "Scipad is not working on mac yet":
According to the opteam, Scipad does not work on MacOSX since they
couldn't make Tcl work on this platform, for some java-related reason.
See bug 4541 plus periodic duplicate requests on the mailing lists.
I'm wondering what's their plan on this. I did not read anything so
far about any intention of the opteam to resolve this Tcl - Java
issue. My guess is there is no plan because Scipad will die from
Scilab (see 2. below).

2. "You will have to wait until scilab-5.2 is released to have a
working editor on mac"
Again, you have to read between lines here. He does not tell you that
this editor will be Scipad, and indeed it will not. They are
developing a fresh new editor. Details about the plan here:
http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.soft-sys.math.scilab/msg/ac0621f4cbb7b489?hl=fr
I'm really curious to see when they will have the same level of
performance as Scipad has, in particular the debugger of the new editor.

Francois