[scilab-Users] Scilab 5.2 Beta: Still no Tcl/Tk under OSX

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Thu Nov 5 20:24:25 CET 2009

Le jeudi 05 novembre 2009 à 20:17 +0100, Stephane Mottelet a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> there is still no Tcl/Tk in the OSX version. Is there
> any hope that Tcl/Tk will be supported on this platform
> before being removed from all platforms (I presume this
> is more or less planned for version 6 ?)
There are some conflicts between the way the JVM and Tk are instantiated
in Scilab.
The JVM needs to be launched into a dedicated thread by the
CoreFoundation (Apple API). [1] This way blocks the Tk startup.
We spend some time on this issue but we don't know any fix for this.
Maybe there is... I will be happy to apply a patch for it.

About the removal of Tcl/Tk, for now, there is no such thing planned but
even if we remove it, we will continue maintaining the interface and
distributing it through ATOMS (our module manager).

Sylvestre

[1] There is the code: modules/shell/src/c/others/initMacOSXEnv.c

--
Sylvestre Ledru