covariance matrix and leastsq

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Mon Apr 26 17:24:26 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

I am using leastsq to fit some experimental data with different kind of
model functions.
In order to properly analyse the result of these fits, I would like to
get an estimate of the standard error on each parameter (or an interval
of confidence at 95%).
So far, the only way I found to retrieve the interval of confidence is
to do bootstrapping but it requires repeating the fitting procedure ~
100 times.
I am looking for a less computer-intensive solution.
As far as I understood, leastsq is using minpack to implement the
Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm.
Is there a way to get access to the covariance matrix with leastsq,
optim or any other scilab routine?
This would be way faster and easier than bootstrapping.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Antoine