[scilab-Users] Tutorial of Optimization toolbox

Michaël Baudin michael.baudin at scilab.org
Wed Jul 7 15:54:52 CEST 2010

Dear Paul,

The document "Optimization in Scilab",
by Michaël Baudin, Vincent Couvert and Serge Steer
has been released publicly today under the terms of the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Its LaTeX sources are managed on the Scilab Forge :

http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docoptimscilab/

You can download a pdf version of this document at :

http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docoptimscilab/downloads/

The following is the abstract of this document.

In this document, we make an overview of optimization features in
Scilab. The goal of this document is to present all existing and non-
existing features, such that a user who wants to solve a particular
optimization problem can know what to look for. In the introduction, we
analyze a classification of optimization problems. In the first chapter,
we analyze the flagship of Scilab in terms of nonlinear optimization:
the optim function. We analyze its features, the management of the cost
function, the linear algebra and the management of the memory. Then we
consider the algorithms which are used behind optim, depending on the
type of algorithm and the constraints. In the remaining chapters, we
present the algorithms available to solve quadratic problems, non-linear
least squares problems, semidefinite programming, genetic algorithms,
simulated annealing and linear matrix inequalities. A chapter focus on
optimization data files managed by Scilab, especially MPS and SIF files.
Some optimization features are available in the form of toolboxes, the
most important of which are the Quapro and CUTEr toolboxes. The final
chapter is devoted to missing optimization features in Scilab.

Best regards,

Michaël Baudin