[scilab-Users] Difference between function return value and literal

Mike Page Mike at Page-One.Waitrose.com
Fri Jul 16 15:01:16 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

The type of a dimension vector is int32.  This shows as an integer type (no
decimal point).  You can convert it to double floating if you need to using:

rows=myCell.dims(1);
R=double(rows);
disp(R);  // -> 2.

Usually this is not required, but I have found that I had to do exactly this
in order to pass hypermatrix dimensions in to a C function, because the
interface assumes double type.

hth.
Mike.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter von Niederhaeusern [mailto:pvonnied at gmail.com]
Sent: 16 July 2010 13:18
To: users
Subject: [scilab-Users] Difference between function return value and
literal

Hi all,

This might be a silly question, but I don't get it:

// 1. version
rows=myCell.dims(1);
disp(rows);  // -> 2
disp( [1:1:rows] ); // -> 1 2

// 2. version
 _rows=2;
 disp(_rows); // -> 2.
 disp( [1:1:_rows] ); // 1. 2.

What's the difference between the plain values (e.g. 2) of the return value
and the indexed values with dots (e.g. 2.)?

I need to get the second version but dynamically
(as in the first version) assigned (to read out some values from a cell)...

Thx for a hint
Peter