reading or loading big files

Hsu (David) hsu at neurology.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 5 08:20:35 CEST 2010

I am just learning SciLab.  I need to read enormous EEG files (electroencephalograms), for example, 20 channels sampled at 32,000 Hz for days on end.  This data may be saved as a matrix with 20 columns but a huge number of rows, so big that I run up against size limits if I try to load the whole thing as a matrix.  This data is usually in binary format.  I tried using stacksize('max') to maximize these size limits but am still running into size limits.

Is there a way to load or read in just a part of this huge matrix, process that, then go back and load or read the next chunk?

Thank you.