[scilab-Users] lsqrsolve

Gary Nelson gnelson at quantasonics.com
Wed May 5 21:10:55 CEST 2010

Thanks. Your observation is correct but, as far as I can determine, in my application would not apply.  Perhaps one of the other scilab operators would be better suited to what I want to do --
lsqrsolve, datafit, fitdata, optim.

Suppose we have a gaussian plus noise centered at C (ie, maximum at C) and we have samples from -(large number) to C from which we want to estimate C, amplitude A, and sigma.  I don't see how the mean and variance of the data will reveal these 3 gaussian parameters.

So I still want to try a parameter estimation tool and am soliciting a bit of guidance.

Suppose I have N samples (sample_freq=fs) from the left side of gaussian-like data that includes a maximum.  I have a scilab function that generates a gaussian based on fs and the value of the maximum and an estimate of width at the half-amplitde (or .707 or 1/e or your favorite gaussian definition) point. What tool do I use  to improve the parameter estimate of A, C, and sigma?

Thanks
Gary Nelson

gnelson at quantasonics.com