Scilab 5.2.2 fails to start on Mac OS 10.6.3

Jeff DuMonthier jjdmon at pobox.com
Mon May 10 18:49:58 CEST 2010

I was running Scilab 5.2.1 successfully, but after installing 5.2.2 and a few other things, Scilab will no longer start up.  I've tried going back to 5.2.1 and have the same problem, so the issue is probably with something else I installed, not a change from 5.2.1 to 5.2.2.  The most likely culprits are an Apple system update combined with an extension, or Python, which I installed to get something else to work.  I'm not sure if Scilab uses Python or something that gets stepped on by the installation, but it is one of the things that changed.

When I attempt to start Scilab, the icon in the dock changes to a generic Java icon and it basically hangs until I do a force quit.  These are the messages I see in the console:

5/10/10 12:27:58 PM	[0x0-0x72072].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[606]	JavaVM: requested Java version (1.5) not available. Using Java at "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home" instead.
5/10/10 12:28:24 PM	com.apple.spindump[632]	ConnectPort: can't find mach server port name = jackdmp_entry.0_default err = unknown error code
5/10/10 12:28:24 PM	com.apple.spindump[632]	Cannot connect to server Mach port
5/10/10 12:28:24 PM	com.apple.spindump[632]	jack server is not running or cannot be started
5/10/10 12:28:25 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[153]	([0x0-0x72072].org.scilab.modules.jvm.Scilab[606]) Exited with exit code: 143

The first message appears immediately.  The rest appear when I force quit Scilab.  I also have Scilab installed and working on another Mac running the same system version.  The message about the Java version also shows up in the console on that machine, but since it works there I don't think that's the issue.  The other messages seem to be referring to JackOSX, which is a configurable audio router.  I don't know why Scilab would be trying to start or connect to that.  It's not set up as the default audio device and Scilab was working with the same version of that installed before.  I can only guess that an Apple OS update or the Python install have created an extension conflict with an extension that wasn't a problem before.  The machine where Scilab is working has the same system version but I did not install Python or JackOSX.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try to debug this further?  I'd rather not have to start ripping out extensions or cleaning out the Python install, which there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do.