[scilab-Users] Some questions about Xcos

Serge Steer Serge.Steer at scilab.org
Tue May 11 09:33:50 CEST 2010

Andrea.Amorosi76 at gmail.com a écrit :
> I'm a Simulink user and I would like to switch to Xcos.
> So I have the following questions:
> 1) is it possible to run a simulation in a soft real time mode?
Yes, select the "Simulation/Setup" Menu
> 2) is it possible to select a fixed step solver (Euler, Runge-Kutta 4,
> etc)?
No in the simulation context, but it is possible (and easy) to a new
block based on generated C code that embed fixed step solver.

Hybrid asynchronous dynamical system requires high quality solvers
which, in particular, have root finding capabilities, so it has been
decided to base the Xcos/Scicos simulator on the Sundials library (CVODE
and IDA).
If one wants to check the behavior of a model with a fixed step solver,
he may use the code generator which generates a new block using
internaly a fixed step solver. This way it is possible to compare tthe
results.
> 3) is it possible to send and receive udp packet and/or interface with
> a joystick?
There is no pre defined block for that, but if you know the API of the
driver is should be easy to developp a block for that.

> 4) is it possible to generate c/c++ code from a model?
Yes, use the "Tools/Code generation" menu. It will generate C code
(standalone or new Xcos block)
> 5) can I create additional blocks libraries?
The answer here is yes and no:
 It is possible to create new blocks using the "user defned blocks" in
particular the CBLOCK (which allow to interactively define a new block
based on C code), The EXPRESSION block (which allow to interactively
define a new functionnal block), ...

But it is not yet possible (it is a Scicos feature which is not yet
implemented in the xcos editor) to create a new block library from scratch.
> 6) is there any mechanism similar to the referenced model of
> Matlab/Simulink?
No

Thanks for your interest

Serge Steer