Working with audio

meteor girl girl.meteor at gmail.com
Thu May 27 10:08:14 CEST 2010

I'm new to Scilab, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how I can
analyze the signals in these mp3s:

http://www.archive.org/details/ird062

How would I go about this? Is there any way I import the file without
requiring it to be a .wav file? I have converted, but I'd like to not lose
in a audio quality through transcoding it from an already lossy format.

I did convert it to .wav to see if I could use wavread and analyze, as
mentioned at http://cermics.enpc.fr/~jpc/mopsi/doc/ch19.html

Wavread told me "mget: stack size exceeded (Use stacksize function to
increase it)." So, I tried

y=wavread("test.wav", [1 5])

That made it not complain, but I'm not sure what that does.

analyze(y) and mapsound(y) complain that y is an undefined variable after
what I thought was already assigned above.

I need a decent overview of how to work with audio in Scilab and hope
someone here can help.