trouble compiling Scilab 5.x on OS X 10.5 PPC

Guillaume Dutilleux guillaume.dutilleux at free.fr
Sat Nov 6 22:06:45 CET 2010

Hello,

Since Scilab 5.x OS X PPC binaries seem to be nowhere to find, I have
tried to do the job by myself, before considering the switch to octave
or python :-(

My machine is a Powerbook G4 running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (highest version
for PPC).  I also have a G5 bi-processor at my office.

I have tried to follow the instructions from Scilab wiki for my
platform (http://wiki.scilab.org/Compiling_Scilab_5.x_under_MacOSX).
Since I do not want to grow too many unix trees, I have installed the
dependencies from the already installed macports + compiled by hand
libmatio, instead of using fink.

For the time being I am stuck with 2 error messages during the ./
configure process :

1 hdf5.h is not found
$./configure --with-hdf5-include=/opt/local/include ...

gives :
 >checking hdf5.h usability... no
 >checking hdf5.h presence... no
 >checking for hdf5.h... no
 >configure: error: Cannot find headers (hdf5.h) of the library HDF5
in /opt/local/include/. Please install the dev package

However

$ls /opt/local/include/hd*
 >/opt/local/include/hdf5.h	/opt/local/include/hdf5_hl.h

The error message does not help much since it is not consistent with
reality

2  Java Error
$./configure --without-hdf5 ...
 >checking JAVA_HOME variable... not defined
 >checking for zip or jar files to include on CLASSPATH...
 >checking to see if the java compiler works... yes
 >Using JAVAC=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javac
 >Java found in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework
 >checking type of jvm... jdk
 >checking java API version... 1.5
 >Using the following JNI include flags -I/Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers
 >checking if jni.h can be included... configure: error: could not
compile file that includes jni.h. If you run Mac OS X please make sure
you have 'Java developer package'. This is available on http://connect.apple.com/

./configure searches for OS X 10.6 SDK : does that mean that there is
no chance to compile on 10.5 ?

I have installed Java 10.5 SDK downloaded from http://
connect.apple.com/ and modified ./configure script accordingly. But it
does not help :
 >Using the following JNI include flags -I/Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers
 >checking if jni.h can be included... configure: error: could not
compile file that includes jni.h. If you run Mac OS X please make sure
you have 'Java developer package'. This is available on http://connect.apple.com/

Even though this directory is quite populated :
$ls /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Headers
 >AWTCocoaComponent.h	NSJavaVirtualMachine.h	jni_md.h
 >JDWP.h			jawt.h			jvmdi.h
 >JDWPCommands.h		jawt_md.h		jvmpi.h
 >JavaVM.h		jdwpTransport.h		jvmti.h
 >NSJavaConfiguration.h	jni.h

Here again, the error message seems to contradict reality.

Any idea ?

Best regards,

Guillaume Dutilleux
Scilab user since release 2.x.