[scilab-Users] python vs scilab

Mathieu Dubois mathieu.dubois at limsi.fr
Mon Nov 8 11:59:23 CET 2010

Hello,

I have used Numpy and been very seduced by it:
  - first, Python is a general, object-oriented language with many
libraries and so one can do more than just data processing scripts; a
growing number of scientific projects provide C/C++ library with a
python binding (see http://neuralensemble.org/trac/PyNN/ for instance)
  - second, the default data-type in Numpy is a multi-dimensional array
and most algorithms can be used on it
  - third, the API is coherent and well-documented

Nevertheless Scilab has it's own strength. I have projects in scilab and
I never felt that switching to python was necessary.

I was wondering if one could use scilab (especially the upcoming 6
family) as a core python interpreter (this would be nice to have a grid
enabled python).

My 2 cents.