New scientific features & Performances of linear algebra

Michaël Baudin michael.baudin at scilab.org
Tue Nov 30 14:41:42 CET 2010

Hello,

We are often asked about the new computational features of Scilab. The
CHANGES file associated with each release provides some information, but
it mainly focuses on the updates and does not provide the context of the
new features. Moreover, this does not give any informations about the
external modules, provided by ATOMS, for example. This is why we have
written the wiki page :

http://wiki.scilab.org/New_Scientific_Features

The goal of this page is to focus on the new scientific, computational
features in Scilab. This document aims at presenting a short abstract of
the each new module along with the changes that were made to it. This
allows to gather the various developments which are made both inside
Scilab and outside Scilab, for example as external modules. By this
mean, we can have a knowledge of the computational algorithms and
functions which are available in the Scilab environment, in a broad
sense. The presentation is based on a year-by-year analysis, from 2008
to 2010.

We had recently the opportunity to check the performances of linear
algebra in Scilab. In order to gather the best performances which can be
obtained with linear algebra algorithms provided in Scilab, we have
created the page :

http://wiki.scilab.org/Linalg_performances

In this page, we present performance of various Scilab scripts involving
linear algebra. We emphasize the use of Mflops as a measure of
performance of linear algebra routines used in Scilab. We consider here
two benchmarks:
  * the dense, real, matrix-matrix multiply,
  * the solution of dense, real linear systems of equations.

These wiki pages are designed to be improved by anyone willing to.
Please insert directly any information that you would like to publish.

Best regards,

Michaël Baudin

--
Michaël Baudin
Ingénieur de développement
michael.baudin at scilab.org
Consortium Scilab - Digiteo
Domaine de Voluceau - Rocquencourt
B.P. 105 - 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
Tel. : 01 39 63 56 87 - Fax : 01 39 63 55 94