Why an interpreter?

Pedro Ledoux p_ledoux at yahoo.com.br
Sat Oct 2 04:01:50 CEST 2010

Hello everyone.

Scilab, Matlab, Octave and others softwares of this kind uses an interpreter not a compiler. Is there any specific rason to do it? I don't know deeply the technical details about interpreters and compilers but i've become curious about it. In long interative process a compiled code runs much more faster because in a interpreter to each interation the language commands should be converted to machine language and in a compiled one it happens only one time when the object code is generated. Was told me that in a interpreter debug is more easy. So why those everyoments chose do numerical process by an interpreted language?