[scilab-Users] Building Scilab 5.3.0-beta 4 on Fedora 13

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Oct 13 20:38:58 CEST 2010

Charlie Warner wrote:
> Have a look at this bug report:
<snip>

Thanks Charlie for your quick response!

Yes, I've read all that.  And so scilab can't be built _as a package_
til the jogl / gluegen mess gets resolved.  Sylvestre Ledru (bless his
heart) appears, from my reading on this, to have made a valient effort
to get this done for the past year, but the Fedora people are being anal
about their packing rules.  (It's all above my pay grade.)  That's may
take on it anyway.

But I'm just trying to build a straight binary. No packaging. And
"libjogl.so" is right there in bin/ from scilab's
prerequirements-scilab-5.3.0-beta-4 package.

Anyway I got past it an hour ago by moving "libjogl.so" and the rest
libs in bin/ to /usr/local/lib64 and got MUCH further down into the
configuration.

Now my problem is this:

checking jhdf5... /usr/local/src/Scilab/scilab-master-1286272063/thirdparty/jhdf5.jar
checking for h5JNIFatalError in -ljhdf5... yes
checking minimal version (1.8.4) of hdf5... configure: error: Wrong
version of hdf5. Expected at least 1.8.4. Found

Note that it does't say what it found!

Furthermore

=>rpm -qa | fgrep hdf5
hdf5-1.8.4.patch1-1.fc13.x86_64
hdf5-devel-1.8.4.patch1-1.fc13.x86_64

so I have version 1.8.4 on my system! I really stumped.

Any ideas?  Sylvestre, are you listing.  I bet you've run into all this
already.

Dean