[scilab-Users] Building Scilab 5.3.0-beta 4 on Fedora 13

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Thu Oct 14 00:35:28 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 13 octobre 2010 à 15:30 -0700, Dean S. Messing a écrit :
> Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Thanks Charlie for your quick response!
> > >
> > > Yes, I've read all that.  And so scilab can't be built _as a package_
> > > til the jogl / gluegen mess gets resolved.  Sylvestre Ledru (bless his
> > > heart) appears, from my reading on this, to have made a valient effort
> > > to get this done for the past year, but the Fedora people are being anal
> > > about their packing rules.  (It's all above my pay grade.)  That's may
> > > take on it anyway.
> > It is a long work ... :/ but I am still optimist !
> >
> > [...]
> > > Any ideas?  Sylvestre, are you listing.  I bet you've run into all this
> > > already.
> > Indeed ;)
> > Usually, the reason is at the end of the config.log.
> > You will find the actual error.
>
> Hi Sylvestre.
>
> I was hoping you might be reading these and that I could
> get some help from The Master himself. :-)
>
> Below is the config.log file.  Nothing useful (to me) at the end.
Well, actually, it is not exactly "the end" of the file but just before
all the declaration matters.
See:

configure:19000: checking minimal version (1.8.4) of hdf5
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun.x86_64/bin/javac -g conftest.java
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun.x86_64/bin/java conftest
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jhdf5 in java.library.path
        at ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.H5.loadH5Lib(H5.java:289)
        at ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.H5.<clinit>(H5.java:225)
        at conftest.main(conftest.java:8)
configure: failed program was:
// #line 19007 "configure"
import ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.H5;

which means libjhdf5.so cannot be find on your system.

>  But
> search on the string "1.8.4" (w/o the quotes) and it will take you to
> the beginning of the stanza that fails.  I'm really stumped on this one.
> Note that I am _not_ building the beta 4, but rather yesterday's Master
> Branch, if that makes any differece. (I thought I'd start will the truly
> latest version :-)
I won't. They are very similar for now.

> By the way, have you successfully built a full-featured scilab-5.3 on
> Fedora as a straight binary from the source tree?
Yes, we have some engineers working on a daily base on Fedora.

Sylvestre