[scilab-Users] Building Scilab 5.3.0-beta 4 on Fedora 13

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Oct 14 06:22:49 CEST 2010

> In reality, my experience with Fedora is a bit limited- I have a
> preference for Ubuntu- especially as packaged by CAELinux
> (www.caelinux.com), which in its latest incarnation (version 2010)
> uses Scilab 5.2.1- already configured and ready to run...I haven't
> tested all of the features yet.  Previously, I was using the *.deb
> package for Unbuntu from the Ubuntu packages- again, all dependencies
> resolved for me.  Yeah, I tend to be a bit lazy, and find that the
> latest version is not always the best version.  have you considered an
> older version?
>
> Charlie

An older version?  Like scilab-4.0-b4-20061006/ ?

That's what I've been running on my ancient Fedora 6 (!) system here at
work since 2006.  I finally had a block of time to upgrade everything.

So I thought I'd upgrade scilab too, to the latest. (I always used to
build from the devel branch during the version 4 and version 3 days).  I
read the bug fix list and the new features and thought "wow, this will
be nice" never dreaming how hard it would be to build on Fedora 13.

I'm lazy too, but I try never to let my computer win the battle.
Although I have limited knowledge I've been known to even drill (in a
limited way) into some drivers to make the computer obey me. :-) And
it's a learning experience.

It does help to have someone like Sylvestre to run to with questions.
Otherwise I might have given up by now.  But since people at his place
are running 5.3.0 on Fedora, it _can_ be built.

I've spent too much time on this now to give up. :-) I've also made some
progress since I first wrote, thanks to the help I've received and lots
and lots of Googling.  Anyway, back to getting ./configure to complete
with errors.

Thanks for the break. :-)

Dean

Dean S. Messing
Sr. Scientist
Display Algorithms and Visual Optimization Laboratory
Sharp Laboratories of America