[scilab-Users] Release of Scilab 5.3.0 - beta 3

Mathieu Dubois mathieu.dubois at limsi.fr
Fri Sep 17 10:11:27 CEST 2010

On 09/15/2010 02:27 PM, Calixte Denizet wrote:
> Le mercredi 15 septembre 2010 à 13:43 +0200, Mathieu Dubois a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply but I think I was not clear in my explanations.

>>> On my computer, if I start Scilab from my home directory, the default
>>> dir is my home.
>>> You can try to put an empty string in the value attribute of the tag
>>> LastOpenedDirectory in the file
>>> ~/.Scilab/scilab-5.3.0-beta-3/configuration.xml, restart scilab from
>>> your home and test... If the bug is still alive, please make a bug
>>> report.
>>>

>> I was talking about the directory proposed in scinotes. In fact it is
>> the directory of the last saved file which might be ok. But a way to
>> quickly jump to the current directory would be nice. Maybe using the
>> native file explorer would be better...
>>
> Actually, we use Java components...
>
> But a workaround is to use the menu File>  Open file in... where you can
> add (and remove) your favorites dirs and choose a dir where the
> filechooser will be opened.
>
> If you have a very very favorite dir, the button 'Open in' (third button
> from the left) is configurable in the file
> SCI/modules/scinotes/etc/scinotesGUIConfiguration.xml where you have a
> line :
> <button action="OpenFileInAction" tooltip="Open in ;MODULES"
> icon="document-open-sci.png"/>
>
> where the tooltip value can be (the ; is a separator):
> tooltip="Open In;/your/very/favorite/path"

Thank you very much for the tip!

>>> In the directory ~/.Scilab/scilab-5.3.0-beta-3/ just put a file
>>> scilab.ini containing scinotes; that's all !
>>>

>> It would help but I'm used to dock scinotes and it's boring to repeat
>> this every time I launch scilab.
>>
> You're right, we should be able to save the docking configuration...
> maybe for 5.4.x

Yep I think it's a common request. By the way, I have found another way
to launch scinotes "automatically". I simply use:
scilab -e scinotes &
to launch scilab from a shell.
The advantage is that:
  - I can create some alias or command to launch it
  - I can use scilab -nogui (if scinotes is in scilab.ini, scilab
-nogui  starts with an error message and that's... shocking)
I agree this may be an overkill...